Quantity: 1 small loaf
- 388g All-purpose flour
- 257g Water
- 98g Sourdough starter
- 8g Salt
- Dissolve the starter in the water and add salt. Add flour to hydrate and let stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Fold once after 10-15 minutes, and again after 30 minutes (45 minutes after starting).
- Bulk fermentation should take something like 8 hours.
- Shape into a boule and let proof in baneton overnight.
- Take out of the fridge ~ an hour before baking and preheat the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes in dutch oven and 15-20 minutes with the lid off.
Bulk fermentation works better if done in 25-27C and high humidity. One easy way of achieving this is using a baking dish or pie plate and filling with boiling water and placing inside the stove. Allowing the dough to rise inside the stove mimics a prooving oven and improves the flavour substantially.
For a slightly softer crust, spray water into the dutch oven before baking to increase the amount of steam.
Proofing overnight is not essential, but you have to be careful not to dry out the dough in the fridge if you do want to do it. Either cover in cling film or place the entire baneton in a plastic bag.